*******traders*******

free counters

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Why "SALT" as a Currency??? My Weltanschauung!


During Prophet Muhammad SAW (PBUH) time, HE'd used other types of commodities as currencies apart from the GOLD dinar, SILVER dirham and fulus. Amongst the commodities used were Wheat(Flour/Gandum), Barley, Dates(Kurma) and of all things....... SALT (GARAM)!!!

At times, JUST THINKING about the Gold dinar & Silver dirham would at times lead to certain people displaying "strange" or, "eccentric" behaviour. I've seen both the best or altruist behaviour of MAN(...and WOMAN) and the worst or ugly behaviour of "D&d Activists" aka Dinarist during my travels. Had even had a couple of strange dreams and unique experiences in this knowledge quest.

Many a times, I find myself asking/stating "IF" or, "IF ONLY"!!??? Thus, I'd wondered and would suggest that readers and activists "cleansed" their thoughts once in a while when discussions on the Dinar & Dirham becomes too "intense"...by thinking about the other types of commodities used by our Prophet Muhammad PBUH and WHY!?

In my case, I'd always wondered why "SALT"???

My inner prayers were answered when I travelled into the Royal Belum Rainforrest area (in the State of Perak, Malaysia) late last Year(4th Quarter 2011) and spent some time with the Jahei clan...(1-1.5 hrs by boat fm Pulau Banding to their settlement). The Jahei clan/community leads a simple life...the term "Kais Pagi, Makan Pagi. Kais Petang Makan Petang" applies to this clan...they can't plant stuffs like fruits or vegetables NOT because they are lazy but because circumstances do not permit. If they plant stuffs, elephants will come and wreak havoc....and by the way, somebody was just eaten by a tiger a few days/weeks before I got there.

(Continuing Story). Part 2:
I tried to promote the Gold Dinar & Silver Dirham to the Jahei people when I was asked:

"ini barang Ada magik ke bang? Boleh tolong aku ke kalau kena kejar dengan Gajah atau Rimau? (Is there any magic in this thing? Can it help me if I'm chased by an Elephant or a tiger?).

It was then that I learnt that the clan used SALT as one of their currency apart from other foodstuffs. ....which lead me to the next question - "What the heck do they do with the SALT? "

Simply put, The SALT will be placed in bamboo or wood casing & hung at "popular" areas frequented by animals. When animals licks the salt from the casing, they'll be killed(either by dart, spear, slingshot etc) and wallah, food for the clan - THANKS to SALT! And that, is why salt can be used as a currency!!!

Another point to note: Paper Money is at times used to start a fire especially during wet/rainy season! GO FIGURE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment